It’s that time of year… the first stuffed up nose of the season. It is most likely 50% ocean related and 50% change in weather related… but, however my congested head got here, it needs to be banished immediately before it becomes my BFF for the next two weeks. Here is my 100% guaranteed (not really true, but it works for me :) ) recipe for clean, clear, nasal passages…
Here is everything I use:
– Neti-Pot with pre made sinus rinse
– Green Tea
– Peppermint Tea
– Immune Defense Emergen-C
– Raw Organic Honey
– Dr. Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar
– Fresh Cloves of Garlic
– Uncrystallized Candied Ginger
– Gummie Vitamins
– Halls Cherry Cough Drops (don’t judge, they are yummy!)
Step One: Neti Pot with Rinse
This should be a given for any surfer, or sufferer of sinus clogs… if you don’t have one, skip this step. If you have one but are unsure how to use it: Click Here. I like to use it in the shower, much less messy, and you can be as gross in your snot rocketing as you wish and all your mucus shame rinses down the drain. I also think that the steam from the shower gets the sinuses flowing. Do this in the morning and before you go to bed at night.
Step Two: The Tea Concoction
– Take a clove of garlic and chop it up. I don’t go too crazy, not all the way to a mince, I like it a little chunkier, but you can chop it as you like.
– Boil one cup of water, and put the chopped garlic in it to soak for about five minutes.
– Add one tablespoon of honey and one pack of Emergen-C to the garlic water, stir and let sit for 30 seconds.
– Boil another cup of water in separate cup, you can do this while the garlic is soaking so everything gets done around the same time.
– Add both packets of green tea and peppermint tea to the boiled water, let sit for two minutes. (if you like lemon, put it in here too. I’m not a lemon fan in my tea, so I don’t use it.)
– When both the garlic/honey/emergen-c and the two tea waters are done seeping, mix them together in a big glass.
– Drink it down… Garlic and all. it’s not the most wildly delicious drink, but it works.
– Repeat at least once more during the day.
Step Three: Vitamins, Ginger, and Halls!
Make sure you are taking your vitamins! You aren’t feeling well, and your body could use a little extra love. Whenever I don’t feel well, I eat some pieces of candied ginger throughout the day. It can’t hurt and if your stomach is feeling queazy, it will settle it down. And, as for the Halls… they are delicious!!! Just don’t over do them. ;)
Step Four: REST!!!!!
The fastest way to make your minor sniffles into a major sinus drama, is to run yourself into the ground being busy. So, rest as much as you can. Watch a marathon of junky tv in your pj’s, read a good book, or just sleep all day. Whatever you choose, get lots of rest, drink lots of water, and try not to breath on anyone.. you’re sick and you just ingested a ton of garlic!! Feel better!!!
P.S. I’m not a Dr, so if your body is telling you to get to a Dr, get to one ASAP!